By Surf Caster
This spicy mexican style tomato sauce works well with red snapper or cod. Adjust the degree of heat to suit your palate.This makes a great dish for a large group and can be presented on a platter, with side dishes of guacamole, cucumber and tomato salad, black beans and rice.
24 ounces red snapper, cod or orange roughy 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, mixed
3-4 cups ripe roma tomatoes, chopped (about10)
1 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup yellow pepper, chopped
1 cup zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, coarsely ground
1 teaspoon chili pepper seeds, 3/4 teaspoon cayenne or 3 small dried red chilis, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 limes, cut in wedges
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
(1) Preheat the broiler while you make the sauce.
(2) In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium and saute the garlic, onions and yellow pepper for 2 minutes.
(3) Add the cumin and oregano and saute another 2 minutes as the onions just begin to brown.
(4) Add the tomatoes, hot chilis and salt. Stir well and cover for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
(5) Squeeze in 4 lime wedges, and stir in the vinegar and zucchini. Continue cooking an additional 5 minutes, covered. Remove from heat.
(5) Lightly brush the fish with the olive oil and lemon juice mixture and place in the broiler, 4 inches from the heat. Broil 3-4 minutes per side, then turn.
(seves 4 in 30 minutes)